Sunday, September 03, 2006

Virtual Weather Station Version 13.00p09

Thanks to everyone for sending me their oslog.txt files. The lock-ups appear to be related to terminating a thread before it is completed. In reading the Microsoft documentation, this is a no-no, although I never reproduced it.

One issue is that you do not want to wait 5 minutes for an internet operation to complete, so I have a seperate watchdog timer that checks when threads finish and terminates them.

So that the program adheres to the FTP Timeout value, the program will move on to other operations even if the thread has not finished. If you upload your data every minute, and the thread takes five minutes to complete, it will not restart this thread until the first one completes. I found that if you do this enough time, it will consume CPU and lock up your computer.

Note that if your download times out, select Internet FTP General Settings, and adjust the FTP Timeout (the default is 120 seconds).

So I feel we are close to the solution if not completely solved. Here is the link:

http://www.wunderground.com/autoasp/downloads/vws_install.exe

6 Comments:

Blogger Ambient Weather said...

Hi Rich,

If the light stays on, it means it is hanging, which means that it was not able to write to the server. However, if the light goes off, there was a sucessful upload. I will have the message clear itself to avoid confusion.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Ambient Weather said...

Hi Jeff,

The memory footprint is displayed when you select Ctrl-Alt-Del once. In my case, I see about 22,000 K. How much useage are you seeing from Virtual Weather Station itself? I will have to review the code to see if the 5 Day Forecast is causing any issues.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Ambient Weather said...

Hi Jeff,

VWS is only using 15,048k, so I am not sure where the other memoory loss is coming from but you should be able to track this by selecting processes.

Write now, I show
IExplorer: 75,000 K
VWS: 28,000K
Explorer: 18,000 K

When I start and stop VWS, I only see the 28,000K.

Can you find where the other memory is being utilized by looking at the list of processes? It should all be accounted for there. What happens if you stop running all other applications?

11:48 PM  
Blogger Ambient Weather said...

Hi Jeff,
We do not allocate memory dynamically, so I am trying to figure out if the memory leak is external to the program, like one of the DLLs. I will look closer to see if I am missing anything, but in the mean time, can you turn off the image update from Image Salsa? Usually, memory leaks are problematic for image creation and updating. I am beginning to think the problem is there. The only way to isolate this is to turn off all other programs and if the problem persists, turn one function off at a time.

5:27 AM  
Blogger williamhystevens said...

Still seeing lockups on 13 p09, is there any data/logging I can provide to help solve this?

5:41 PM  
Blogger weatherman said...

I have 13.00p09 and and I don't have to many problems. My main frustration is when I restart VWS I lose every data for daily and monthly max and min data.
Do you have any suggestion?

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home